Christmas Dinner Kebabs
A complete Christmas dinner served on a kebab stick!
This is a great recipe for a Christmas party that gives your guests a dinner with all the trimmings without the formality of a sit-down meal. It does require a fair bit of your time to make it but you can save time on the night by preparing the vegetables in advance and storing them in bowls of water.
This recipes serves 8 but, provided you have a large oven, you can easily multiply the quantities to make it for more.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7 / 425°F / 220°C.
- Cook the ‘turkey’ roast in the oven according to the instructions, remembering to leave time for it to cool a little before serving.
- Roast the potatoes, parsnips and carrots according to the instructions on our roast vegetables page.
- Make up the sage and onion stuffing according to the instructions (this usually involves mixing with boiling water and leaving to stand for a while). You can add some margarine to the mix if you wish. Form the mixture into balls and place on a greased baking sheet. Cook in the oven for around 25 minutes.
- Peel the outer layer from the Brussels sprouts and wash them. Remove any remains of the stem and cut a cross into the bottom of each sprout. Steam the sprouts for 25 minutes until tender but not too soft. They will be horrible if overcooked!
- If you time it correctly, everything will be ready at the same time.
- Remove the turkey roast from the oven and leave it to stand for 10 minutes. Make the gravy and leave it somewhere warm. Then, remove the roast vegetables and place them in a colander lined with kitchen paper to soak up any excess oil.
- Cut the turkey roast into quarters, then cut each piece in half, leaving you with 8 large chunks.
- Now comes the tricky part. Shoo everyone out of the kitchen, maybe keeping one or two volunteers to help. Place the various components into bowls and place them in a line along your kitchen work surface with your serving plates at the end.
- Grab a kebab stick and work your way down the line, pushing onto the stick a couple of roast potatoes, a parsnip slice, a carrot slice, a sprout, a stuffing ball and a piece of turkey (in any order). Repeat until you’ve used up all the food. Be careful not to burn your fingers.
- Serve with the gravy and/or cranberry sauce.