Mushroom & Nut Pie
This recipe for Mushroom and Nut Pie makes a very filling and tasty centrepiece for a meal. Serve it with gravy and steamed and roasted vegetables. One pie is enough for 4 hungry people and leftovers can be frozen (though the pastry goes a bit chewy when reheated). You can buy ready-made vegan pastry, such as JusRol Puff Pastry sheets.
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 7 / 220 °C / 425 °F.
- Fry onion until soft. Add mushrooms and cook. Remove from heat and add nuts, breadcrumbs, herbs, soy sauce, vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Allow to cool.
- Line a large pie dish with pastry. Fill with the mixture and cover with more pastry. Cut a couple of vents in the top of the pie. You can also decorate the top with any left over pastry. Brush the top with a little bit of soya milk if you have it.
- Cook for 20 minutes then reduce heat to Gas Mark 5 / 190 °C / 375 °F and cook for 1 hour.
- If you are using frozen pastry, you can reduce the cooking time by about 15 minutes.