You shouldn’t have any problem finding vegan stuffing mix. Paxo Sage & Onion stuffing is vegan, as are some of the other products in their range. Many supermarket stuffing mixes are also vegan, though check the label. Just make up the mix with water, form into balls or spread on a tin and put in the oven next to your turkey and roast vegetables.
If you prefer, you can easily make your own. Here’s a very straightforward recipe for vegan sage and onion stuffing.
Sage & Onion Stuffing
Stuffing is a great accompaniment to a roast dinner. Although you can buy stuffing mix, it's easy to make it yourself.
- 50g (2oz.) vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 100g (4oz.) bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon. fresh sage, chopped
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4 / 180°C / 350°F.
- Put the oil and margarine into a pan and heat. Add the onion and cook until softened. Add the breadcrumbs, fresh sage and some salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Heat the butter and oil, and cook the onion until softened. Add the breadcrumbs, sage and seasoning and mix well.
- Either press the mixture into a baking dish or roll into balls and place on a greased tin. Bake for 40 minutes.
If you are going to use this stuffing to make Christmas Dinner Kebabs then I recommend you chop the onion, sage and breadcrumbs finely to ensure the balls are firm rather than crumbly (otherwise they will fall off the stick!)