This vegan trifle recipe is a great treat for your Christmas day tea or for any special meal. As a variation, try adding sliced banana or a tin of mixed fruit to the jelly layer.
There are a number of brands of ginger biscuits that are vegan. In the UK, check the Animal Free Shopper published by the Vegan Society. Currently ginger nut biscuits from Asda, Co-
Jelly made from agar-
Again, there are many custard powders that are vegan, such as Bird's, Co-
- 200g (8 oz.) vegan ginger biscuits
- 1 packet vegan jelly crystals
- 1 pint (568ml) thick custard made with soya milk
- 1 carton (250ml) soya cream
- Concentrated apple juice
- Toppings, such as hundreds-
and- thousands, grated chocolate etc. (check that your cake decorations are vegan and don't include shellac or beeswax)
- Break the biscuits into pieces and put in the bottom of a trifle bowl. Make the jelly, pour it over the biscuits and allow to set.
- Make the custard and pour over the jelly layer. Again, allow to set.
- To make the topping, put a little soya cream in a cup and add half a teaspoon of concentrated apple juice. Whip the cream and you should find that it forms peaks, like real whipped cream. If you find this doesn’t work, try adding a bit of lemon juice and a bit of sugar. When you have whipped all the cream, spread it over the top of the trifle. Add your chosen toppings just before serving.